A 39-year-old man with no known health issues prior to ED presentation, was brought to the ED by family members with concerns for fever, generalized weakness, and abdominal pain of one week’s duration.
A 58-year-old male with a history of hypertension and cardiac stents two years prior had just arrived at a Saturday morning prayer breakfast at church when he suddenly went unresponsive and was found to be pulseless and apneic by bystanders.
A 42-year-old female presented to the ED of a community hospital six hours after lithotripsy and laser stone ablation for left ureterolithiasis with complaints of sudden onset of non-radiating, left-sided, aching abdominal pain for one hour.
A 37-year-old female with a history of attention deficit disorder and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) with neurocardiogenic syncope presented to our hospital’s emergency department (ED) complaining of an abrupt onset of pain and paresthesias in her left arm, adjoining left chest wall, and inferior neck that began one hour prior to arrival.
A 63-year-old male was brought into the emergency department (ED) after being found unresponsive. Paramedics in the field noted that the patient was obtunded, with a Glasgow Coma Score of 3 and a blood sugar of 33 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL).
A 52-year-old woman with multiple comorbidities, including obesity and chronic use of prednisone presumably for pulmonary fibrosis, originally presented to an urgent care center two days prior to presenting to our academic hospital and was prescribed polymyxin for presumed conjunctivitis.
A 51-year-old male weighing 131 kilograms (kg) presented to the emergency department (ED) via ambulance with altered mental status and slurred speech after undergoing cervical epidural injection with two milliliters (mL) of 2% lidocaine (40 milligrams [mg]) under fluoroscopic guidance in an ambulatory setting.
A 71-year-old, 86 kilogram male with a history of alcohol abuse, dementia, chronic kidney disease, and hypertension presented to the emergency department (ED) after the ingestion of approximately half of a retail lava lamp’s contents.